Urdu & Hindi Stories - Stories.pk

Read stories online, urdu stories, hindi stories, desi love stories, novels

Login | Register

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Once, there was a monkey. His name was Champoo. Champoo was very young, but very mischievous. Once he was enjoying mangoes on a mango-tree, throwing down the remains of the mangoes after sucking the juice. He jumped from one branch to another ; wound up his tail round the branch and hung himself from it and enjoyed swinging.

At that time came a mad elephant. The mad elephant would walk swinging sideways. His pillar-like legs would fall heavily. The ground would shake under his feet. The elephant stopped under the mango tree.

Champoo was sucking juice from a mango then, his lips making a sound, 'Buch! Buch!' The elephant's winower-like ears became still at that sound. He cast a glance up the tree. Champoo was enjoying a mango high up the tree. The elephant had a desire to eat mangoes.

The mango tree was very tall. Ripe, sweet mangoes hung from the branches. The elephant looked fixedly at the mangoes, and his mouth watered for them.

The elephant raised his trunk, but the mangoes hung very high. His trunk could not reach them. The elephant stood up errect on his hind legs, stretched his trunk ; even then he could not reach the mangoes. He strived hard. His legs wavered. He lost his balance and fell to the ground with a heavy thud.

'How can one help laughing when a pot-bellied thing like you falls down?'

'Dare you call me a pot-bellied thing?'

'Sorry for the mistake! Now, I will call you the like of a bale of cotton!'

'Come down, you rascal! I won't let you go unbeaten!'

Champoo was, of course, a little scared, but he felt an urge to do something meschievous.

Having sucked up the mango, he dropped the remains on the elephant, saying : 'Aey! You bulky thing Not I but this mango comes down!'

elephant1.jpg (6725 bytes)The remains of the mango hit the elephant exactly on his head. The mad elephant lost his temper. He raised his trunk and screamed furiously and broke down three or four branches : 'You are a crown-idiot! You are a non-sensical thing! I am seated on the top. Why should I never come down? I am not going to come down at all.

'Then I will uproot this tree. I am King Elephant ; the king of this forest!' roared the elephant, his eyes burning with anger.

He wounded his trunk round the trunk of the tree and began to pull furiously at it. But the trunk of the tree was large and the tree was very strong. The elephant's trunk got badly bruised, and he fell to the ground, completely tired.

Champoo, began to jump up and down on the branch, and convulged in laughter. 'Aey, you bulky thing! Go away. go away now to the city and buy some intellect! You have no guts to be the king of the forest. Take this mango, if you like to eat one.' Once again, he threw remains of a mango down to the elephant.

The elephant was greatly tired. His trunk had been badly bruised and was bleeding. He was very, very angry with Champoo.

Now Champoo began to be frightened. He had supported, the angry elephant would go away ; but he stayed there, angrily. Champoo was thirsty but how could he climb down the tree? Champoobhai was really in trouble!

He said to the elephant, 'Well, Mr. Elephant! Then be a friend of mine and I will bring mangoes for you to eat.'

But the elephant was in high temper. He said, 'I don't want to eat mangoes. I want to break your bones. You played cruel joke on me. I want you to taste its fruit. Just come down once!'

'But I will never come down!'

'How long will you stay there? The hour will surely come when you will be tired. I am not leaving this forest before O straighten you forever!'

Champoo thought, the elephant would not leave him unbeaten. His throat dried up with thirst. He sucked juice from two more mangoes, and sat on the tree holding a branch tightly. Below, there was a pond at a little distance. Champoo felt great thirst, but the mountain-like elephant had blocked his way. Sitting on the ground, he looked at Champoo. flapped his large ears, swung his powerful trunk.

Champoo remembered Uncle Tortoise. Who else could free him from the elephant? Uncle Tortoise knew a number of tricks. He had lived as long as a hundred years. A wise soul! He walked slowly ; talked wisely and he loved Champoo greatly. Only if Uncle Tortoise should turn up!

bathingelephant.jpg (16659 bytes)It was a hot summer day. The heat of the sun was unbearable. The elephant too, got thirsty. He had eaten nothing since morning. He could do without food, but how could he do without water? Slowly, the elephant got up, looked at Champoo, and said, 'Sonny, I am going to the pond to drink water. But I will constantly keep an eye on you. As soon as you come down I will catch you!'

The elephant began to drink water from the pond. The day was very hot. He began to have a bath in it. He filled his trunk with water and began to shower it on his body.

And at that time. Uncle Tortoise came up there. With him was Brother Rabbit. They called out, 'Champoo, come down quickly. We have seen very fine grapes on the bank river Revti. Let us go and eat them.'

Champoo put his finger upon his nose and signalled to keep quiet. The elephant was having bath in the pond. Champoo pointed to him and explained everything to Uncle Tortoise.

Uncle Tortoise said, 'Champoo, when will you get rid of your mischievous nature? When will you be wise?'

'Uncle, please help me this time. Then I will be wise for ever.'

Uncle Tortoise fell into thinking - his eyes closed. Soon he found out a trick. He called Brother Rabbit close to him. Brother Rabbit stood by Uncle Tortoise with his ears raised in attention. Uncle Tortoise told him of the trick. Brother Rabbit understood it very well, flapped his ears and set out swiftly to the city.

The elephant was lost in his joy of bathing. He didn't see Uncle Tortoise. He didn't see Brother Rabbit either. He didn't know anything. Walking lazily, Uncle Tortoise hid himself under the grass.

The elephant finished his bath and returned to the mango tree. He sat down by the trunk of the tree and began to look at Champoo with angry, fearful eyes.

After a little while, Brother Rabbit returned from the city. Brother Rabbit would walk so noiselessly! Quietly, he slipped behind the mango tree.

Now, Uncle Tortoise came out from the grass. He went to the elephant and said, 'My respect, Mr. Elephant!'

The Elephant looked sideways at Uncle Tortoise. He was very proud. He said, 'Why, tortoise, where are you going?'

'I am going home', said Uncle Tortoise, 'Why you sitting over here, Sir?

The elephant said, 'See that monkey up the tree? I am sitting here to catch and beat him. Such a small monkey-and plays jokes on me! I will break his bones today!'

'But sir, you cannot be a match for that monkey!'

'What? I cannot be a match for a monkey! What do you mean?'

'I am telling the truth, sir. Forgive me if it hurts you. Please believe this old tortoise. That monkey is a great magician, a tricky fellow, a wizard!

'O, sir, I have been living in this forest for a hundred years. But I have never seen the like of this monkey. Once he had made a tiger stand head down and legs up ; had ridden a lion ; had made a leopard act as a guard. Don't make him an enemy of yours, or he will do do something like those to you, too.

Hearing it, the elephant was taken a back a little, but spoke proudly, 'What is that worthless monkey able to do me? I am not to be scared by anyone.'

elephant2.jpg (14597 bytes)At that time, Uncle Tortoise signalled to Brother Rabbit. Brother Rabbit had fetched a large bunch of fire- crackers from the city. He had also brought a match-box. The elephant was engaged in conversation with Uncle Tortoise. Brother Rabbit tied the bunch of crackers to the elephant's tail.

Uncle Tortoise said, 'All right then, Mr. Elephant, I am going. I wish you had better followed the advice of this old tortoise. You may still do so, and go your way.'

Just at that moment, Brother Rabbit lighted the bunch of crackers tied to the elephant's tail. Then he slipped again, behind the tree. A cracker explode,

'Dhadoom!'

The elephant was startled, and soon was on his feet.

The crackers went on exploding one after another : 'Dhadam, dhad! Dha....doom dhad!.....Dhad, dhad, dhad

On the mango tree. Champoo began to laugh noisily.

The elephant was confused, and scared. Crackers went on exploding one after another. With every explosion, the elephant received more burns. He sprang on all his four legs ; Swept his tail and trunk violently. He felt sure, Champoo had tried some magical trick on him. Now he must run away from this forest at the earliest,. otherwise he might meet the same trouble as the tiger and the lion had.

'O, I am killed! O, I am dead!' Shouted the elephant as he started running away.

Uncle Tortoise said, 'Good-bye, Mr. Elephant!'

But the elephant did not stop to make a reply. Behind him were exploding crackers and he ran and ran ahead. Soon he was out of the forest, and far, away from the forest.

Champoo jumped up and down on the branches of the mango tree. Uncle Tortoise was laughing his toothless laughter. Brother Rabbit was clapping for joy.

A little later, Champoo came down, taking with him ripe mangoes. He presented sweet, ripe mangoes to Uncle Tortoise and Brother Rabbit. Then began to drink cool water from the pond.

Whosoever in the forest heard the story of the mad elephant, laughed and laughed till they bent with laughter.

champooman.jpg (19967 bytes)Champoo loved to wear fine clothes. Once he visited a town and got a very nice dress - a coat, a pent, a shirt ; a hat on his head and a cane in his hand too.

A fox sighted Champoo from a distance : O of! How proudly this monkey walks! How dandy he looks in his new garments!'

Now, Fox was a very cunning fellow. He felt a strong desire to take away the new dress from Champoo. So, going a little ahead on the river bank, he sat down under a coconut tree.

Walking along a narrow pathway through the forest, Champoo happened to come upon Fox, who sat there looking upwards at the top of the tree.

Champoo greeted him, 'Good morning, good friend! What are you busy doing?'

Fox heaved a heavy sigh and said, 'Well friend, I am looking at these fresh, green coconuts.'

'But what is there to sigh so sorrowfully?' Inquired Champoo.

'How very pleasant these coconuts look! And it's such a hot summer day. Really, a drink of sweet, cooling coconut-water at this time would be wonderful. But alas! I can't climb up the tree.'

Fox began to flatter the monkey. He said softly, 'My dear friend, you are able to do it. You can surely climb up the tree in the blink of an eye, can't you?'

Champoo did feel flattered. He cried out, 'Yes! Oh yes! Wait a moment. I will soon be back with a coconut for you!

Champoo was about to take a leap upwards when Fox said softly, 'But wait Champoobhai. While climbing, you may make your new dress dirty. May be, it will get torn, too.'

Chmapoo felt, Fox was right. He thought for a while.

But soon, Fox suggested, 'You need not worry, dear friend. You may well, leave your dress with me. While you are gone up, it will be quite safe with me.'

By this time, Champoo took his dress off. Then gripping the tree-trunk he shot off to the top.

As he reached the top, he picked six or seven coconuts and hurled them down to where Fox was. But then as he looked down, Fox was not to be found. He had disappeared, and so had Champoo's dress.

Champoo climbed down and searched for Fox in all directions. He called aloud again and again, but in vain. Fox was nowhere to be seen.

Then, luckily for Champoo, uncle Tortoise happened to come up there.

But no sooner did Champoo he burst into tears.

'It seems to me, you have played some fresh mischief, haven't you?' enquired Uncle Tortoise.

'Oh no! Oh no! I haven't done anything of the sort, uncle. Please believe me.

'Well, then what makes you look so gloomy and run down?'

'That Fox robbed me of my new dress. That Villain deceived me, Uncle. Ah, my only new dress! It's gone'.

Then, Champoo narrated the whole story. uncle Tortoise fell into deep thinking : he closed his eyes for a while : The sly, cunning Fox! He must be taught a severe lesson, then.

And then, nodding his head oft and on., Uncle Tortoise thought of something and said to Champoo, 'don't you worry now. You are definitely going to get your clothes back.'

Uncle Tortoise took Champoo to Brother Rabbit. Champoo told everything to him. Brother Rabbit gave him careful listening. He flapped his long ears twice ; then nodded ; and then set out for Fox's place.

As Brother Rabbit entered Fox's house, he found him sitting merrily in Champoo's clothes

He greeted the fox, 'Good day, dear friend!'

'Good day to you! Hello, good friend!'

'You look great, dear Fox!' remarked Brother Rabbit staring at his dress with wide open eyes. You look really wonderful, but'...

'But what?' the fox eagerly said, 'Go on please. You were saying something, weren't you?

'Yes but forget it. It's nothing important.'

'No, no. You wanted to say something. What makes you hesitate? Please do say it. Do you think this dress isn't good enough?'

'Not so,' said Brother Rabbit, 'The dress is terribly pretty, indeed! But the question is, how will you manage to be seem by others, in this dress?'

Fox dell into thinking, considering what the rabbit had said. 'Of course, the rabbit was right. He could look really great in the new dress, but how would others know of it? How could he ever attract their attention to his dress?'

He said to Brother Rabbit, 'I can do one thing. while going out, I will keep coughing aloud. That will attract everybody's attention to me.'

'Right,' said Brother Rabbit, 'But too much of coughing will hurt your throat.

Brother Rabbit gave a quick sweep to his hand and spoke, 'I have found out a way - a very good way, of course ! There is a village close to our forest ; and there is a pond in the outskirts of the village. A big buffalo-bull comes everyday to have a bath in it. After the bath is over he soon falls asleep under a tree on the bank. now, the buffalo has a fine small bell put around his neck. If we can only take away that bell, your worry is over. All you have to do then, is to put the bell around your neck. The sweet jingle of the bell will make everyone's eyes turn towards you.

Fox liked the idea very much. However, he said with a little fear, 'I have seen that buffalo and also his bell. But I am afraid of him. He is very quick to hit.

'Oh, don't be afraid of him, my friend. You don't know, the buffalo is a terrible sleeper. He sleeps like a log. I have seen crows peck at his back while he is asleep ; and he doesn't even know of it. To untie the bell from his neck is as easy as a child's play. But it you are afraid to go, I will go close to him first. I will make sure whether he is asleep or not. Only after that, I will call you there.'

Fox took the new dress off, folded it carefully and put it in a trunk. He thought he should better put on the new dress only after putting the bell round his neck.

Brother Rabbit, then went running to the village. The buffalo was enjoying his bath in the pond. Brother rabbit said to him, 'my respect, sir! Here you are lost in the joy of bathing, but you don't know your bell is going be stolen while you are asleep under the tree'.

'Who has the courage to steal my bell?' roared the buffalo in anger.

'A fox in out forest, sir,' Brother Rabbit said, 'He says, you are not worthy of this bell. Only he is worthy of it.'

'Is that so? Where is that vain fox? Come, I will straighten him in a moment.'

'Don't be hasty, sir. When you go to take rest today, he will come to steal away your bell. If you mean to teach him a proper lesson, pretend to be sleeping under the tree. As he starts untying the bell, I will clap aloud.'

Then the buffalo went to the tree and lay down under it. Brother Rabbit took his seat at a little distance and waited for Fox to come up. A little later, Fox came up. Brother Rabbit made some gestures meaning the buffalo was fast asleep. Be quick and get the bell.

Fox began untying the bell. Right at that moment, Bother Rabbit clapped loudly.

buffalo.jpg (10381 bytes) The buffalo gave a terrible snort and sprang to his feet. He lifted Fox on his horns and hurled him into the air. He dumped Fox on the ground. As Fox dashed against the ground, the buffalo, again, pushed him upwards with his powerful horns. Again, Fox came to the ground with a heavy thud. His bones broke into pieces.

Soon after Fox had left for the village, Champoo and uncle Tortoise went to his house, and collected Champoo clothes.

Then, dressed in his new clothes, Champoo watched the buffalo thrashing Fox from a distance. Uncle Tortoise also was enjoying the scene. Champoo jumped and danced for joy.

Champoo cried out, 'more sir, give him still more beating. He is a thief.'

Fox was quite humble now. He prayed to the buffalo, 'Have pity, sit. Please let me go. Please do not beat me, now. I will never still again.'

The buffalo took pity on him. He let me go.

Fox went limping to the forest, and disappeared into the groves. He felt terribly ashamed of himself.

Champoo could not control his laughter. Laughter was also over-flowing the teethless mouth of uncle Tortoise.

So, this is a reward of stealing someone's clothes and telling a lie!

Champoo had got Fox beaten very much by the buffalo. Fox could not forget that bitter experience. He through out a plan to take his revenge on Champoo. He was very proud of his intellect.

One day Champoo was son a tree sitting there merrily. As Fox saw him, he said, 'Hello, Champoobhai, How are you?'

Champoo was confused for a moment. He remembered, Fox had taken away his dress and the buffalo had beaten him severely - had Fox forgotten it all?'

'Well, brother,' Fox said softly, 'Now, look here. That day you went up the tree to fetch coconuts for me ; and I took your clothes to my place to get them pressed. But what a terrible misunder-standing was made about it!'

'What? You took my clothes home to press them!'

'Of course! Your clothes were brand new. But they were not well pressed. I thought, let me go home and press the clothes while Champoobhai is busy picking coconuts. Shouldn't I do something for you if you bring coconuts for me?'

Champoo felt much ashamed : Alas! This kind-hearted fox was unjustly beaten that day!

Fox knew for certain, pleasant lies have the power to deceive anyone. He said cunningly, 'Well! Such things do happen between friends. But can they ever bring a friendship to an end? No, no, no. You are still my friend. I do not feel hurt at all. And I hope, you too, do not bear any bitterness in your mind.'

Now Champoo felt more ashamed of himself. He was very sorry. What a large-hearted fellow Fox was!

'Please do forgive me,' Champoo said to Fox.

Champoo was completely taken in. He climbed down to meet Fox. Both the friends lovingly embraced each other.

Then, Fox asked in a gentle voice, 'Champoobhai, have you ever tasted the fruits of an orchard?'

'Why such a question?'

'You see, wild fruits of our forest have no sweetness at all. But the fruits of orchards! Ah! wonderfully sweet! Taste them once and you will be fond of them forever.'

'Is it so?'

'It is so, Champoobhai. now, if you wish, let us go. The orchard is a bit far from here. A dog, my old friend, lives in it. You may go to him and say that I am your friend. Immediately he will present a heap of fruits before you.'

Champoo fell into thinking for a moment. Then he asked, 'You will accompany me, won't you?'

'Sure, I will. But I will stay outside the orchard since I have enjoyed the fruits just now. It's out of etiquette to be a friend's guest too often.'

Then Fox led Champoo to an orchard at a little distance from the forest. He stopped at the hedge of the orchard and said, 'Now go into the orchard and see my friend, the dog. Just give him my name and then see how warmly he welcomes you!'

Champoo jumped over the hedge and entered the orchard. Fox waited outside. He was sure that the horrible dog will make Champoo bleed all over with his awful bites. But Champoo's luck favoured him. The dog was not present in the orchard.

Champoo looked about the orchard for the dog, but found him nowhere. Two bullocks were tethered near a well. Champoo felt pity for them. At a little distance, there was a large stack of hay. Champoo brought some hay from the stack and gave it to the bullocks.

The bullocks were glad. They asked Champoo what brought him into the orchard. Champoo told them everything Fox had told him. Both the bullocks listened to him, noddingly.

Then one of the bullocks said, 'You are too simple my friend! That horrible dog doesn't let even us eat hay from the stack. Why then, will he let you eat fruits in the orchard? Your friend, Fox certainly seems to be your ill-wisher.'

In a moment, the told story of Fox's treachery flashed in Champoo's mind.

cow&monkey.jpg (13571 bytes)The bullocks said, 'But you have taken the trouble to come here. You have shown affection for us. So we will give you some nice fruits to eat'.

So the bullock pointed to a jamoon-tree in a corner of the orchard, saying, 'Go there, and eat ripe jamoons to your fill. Then call in your friend, Fox, too. Drop a few jamoons to hem and then cry out ; 'Hoop! Hoop!'....

Champoo objected to it, 'What shall I call him for? He is so treacherous!

But the bullock insisted, 'You don't understand, brother. Do as I told you ; and see what happens to him.'

So Champoo went running to the jamoon-tree, climbed up and began to eat ripe, juicy jamoons. He ate until his belly was full. Then he went to call Fox who was waiting outside the orchard. Fox asked him, 'Is the big dog in the garden?'

'No, I found him nowhere in the garden. But his presence isn't necessary either. I have already found out a jamoon-tree with very sweet jamoons on it. If you come in, too, I will fetch you as many jamoons as you can eat.'

Fox's mouth watered for jamoons. He crept into the orchard along with Champoo and after a while, stood under the jamoon-tree. Champoo climbed a bunch of jamoon, and then cried out, 'Hoop! .....Hoop!' ....

Just as the bullocks heard Champoo's cry they began to below loudly. The dangerous dog was at the other end of the orchard He heard the belowing of the bullocks. He ran fast and reached the spot. Under the jamoon tree, he saw the fox eating jamoons. He became furious and shot off like an arrow. He caught Fox in his grip.

Fox didn't expect any danger. He was heartily enjoying sweet jamoons. So he wasn't aware of the dog's arrival. But as the dog caught hold of him, he began to scream.

Champoo was so delighted at that sight, he began to jump up and down. The dog furiously bit Fox and tore his skin off. He began to bleed all over. With great difficulty, he could free himself from the dog, and ran for his life. The dog chased him.

Champoo clapped. He laughed and laughed. Now, he realised the bullock's trick. Fox had had sufficient punishment for his wickedness. The dog was still chasing him.

After a little while, Champoo picked ripe jamoons for his friends and jumping from one tree to another, reached the forest in no time.

In the evening he told the story with all details to uncle Tortoise, Brother Rabbit and other friends. He gave them ripe, sweet jamoons to eat and they laughed and laughed.

ImageImage

Top Top