Urdu & Hindi Stories - Stories.pk

Read stories online, urdu stories, hindi stories, desi love stories, novels

Login | Register

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:26 pm

In the old days she'd be referred to as a "Damsel in Distress."

I had been out shopping and really took too much time doing it. I was tired and ready to head home. That is when I saw her.

She was stopped in the left hand turn lane about ready to get onto the expressway but never made it.

I saw her standing behind her car with the trunk open. I slowed down, rolled opened my window and said, "Do you need help?"

"Yes, I ran out of gas. I just moved here and I don't even know where a gas station is," she replied.

She didn't have a gas can, so I told her I'd run down the road to see if I could get one from the local station.

They sold a one gallon can, I filled it up and returned.

She couldn't thank me enough and told me she would pay for the can and gas. Of course, I refused.

The car she was driving was in poor shape and would most likely qualify for the clunker rebate as a gas guzzler.

She didn't have a cell phone either. I asked if I could call anyone and she replied, "I have no one to call."

As I was pouring the gas in, she said, "You know in this day I thought no one would even stop. I was afraid to leave the car but even more afraid to get help."

That bothered me greatly. It was true and that bothered me even more.

"Well, I couldn't pass by without offering help," I said. "I've run out of gas myself a few times."

She looked nervous and a little uneasy so I thought I'd make her smile.

"You know I'm getting old. Now I'm running out of gas and time. It just seems to fly by."

She then said something that I thought was a gem... "My Dad said that old age is like toilet paper. The closer you get to the end of the roll the faster it spins."

I laughed so hard I nearly dropped the container. She tried to start the car and it worked. I gave her the can and told her to keep the empty one in her trunk. Then I handed her $20.

"This is for that joke. I'll get more mileage out of that than you will when you fill your tank. Welcome to Pennsylvania."

Top Top