Urdu & Hindi Stories - Stories.pk

Read stories online, urdu stories, hindi stories, desi love stories, novels

Login | Register

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 am

If ignorance is indeed bliss, then I must be the happiest woman in the world. Why, then, do I feel as if something is amiss?

Take now, for instance. I’ve been feeling utterly restless for the last ten minutes or so.

I’d been going through the motions of preparing a meal for Rakul, just to get my mind off of the uncomfortable silence that reigned in our house. He was seated quietly in the next room, but I could feel his eyes on me.

What was holding us back from talking to each other?

Oh, come on, Ananthi, I thought. Stop fooling yourself and concentrate on your duties.

Easier said than done.

Unfortunately, my inability to concentrate on the task at hand proved to be my undoing. I was so lost in thought that the knife slipped and cut me on my finger instead. I yelped, more from fright than from pain. Out of reflex, I jabbed the wounded finger into my mouth.

“Are you all right, Ananthi?” my husband asked.

I nearly jumped.

He’s talking…to me?

I took my thumb out of my mouth and turned to face my husband. “I’m sorry. I was careless. I’ll be more careful next time.”

He wore a sympathetic expression on his face. “Let me have a look at that wound.”

“It’s all right, Rakul,” I insisted. “It’s just a shallow cut.”

“Perhaps, but I’d still like to see it.”

I blinked. This isn’t like him…then again, what do I know?

“Rakul, is everything all right?”

“Everything is fine. Actually, not everything is fine.”

That was the response I’d been dreading. Nevertheless, I decided to pursue the line of thought, anyway: “What is the matter?”

“Nothing. Everything. I don’t know.”

My face fell. “Are you…displeased with me?”

“No, I’m not,” he sighed. “But I think that maybe I should do the cooking. That is, after we see to your wound.”

I didn’t know why, but his words brought me much relief. I found myself smiling again.

“I think you’re right,” I told him. “To be honest, I’m not much of a cook, anyway.”

Rakul reached for a strip of Band-Aid and quickly treated my wound. “That should do it,” he said.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now, will you please, please let me do the cooking?”

I wanted to laugh. “By all means. I thought you’d never ask.”

That really made my day. I walked away with the feeling that we may be able to work things out between us after all.

Top Top